Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Book Recommendation


Friends recommended that I read A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner. They said it is about women in Afghanistan. When I got home I picked up a copy at Half-Price and devoured the book in a few days.
I would recommend the book too. It is not as graphic or "shock-value" laden as The Kite Runner and gives a picture of what life might have been like, and may still be like, for many women in Afghanistan or other Middle Eastern countries.
For me, this story spurred me on even more to want to share the amazing truth of our God. There is so much that we can take for granted as women here in the States. And there is so much joy and hope that we can have as children of God. But life is dark, and one's fate is determined, for those who are not His children.

3 comments:

Joe, Ash, G, J, and A said...

Pretty much my current favorite book. I wept.

Melanie said...

that sounds like a good book

Anonymous said...

Susanne and Jessy both tried to get me to read this book. I am a bit comforted that it is not as graphic or shocking as The Kite Runner but....still-I'm chicken!!