Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Book Corner

Recently I read The Bookseller of Kabul. It is written by a journalist who lived with an bookseller and his family for a month in order to write this book. She gives a very candid depiction of life in Afghanistan for this family and those similar to them. I found it very intriguing. I am often amazed by what seems to be contrasts to me in the nature of the culture there in Afghanistan. As I see these pictures of the lives of the people there, I realize more and more how Jesus Christ is the only answer or way of change for them, as with any of us.

I also read In Praise of Stay at Home Moms. Dr. Laura acts like a cheerleader for moms and families who value having the mother in the house to raise the children, even if that means monetary sacrifices or juggling schedules for mom to work while the children are with dad or asleep. She encourages moms to cherish the time they have with their children, to support and appreciate their husbands for working, and to take care of themselves to be able to be good moms. It's great to hear a voice shouting loudly that being a mom at home is of more value than any successful career could be.

No comments: