Friday, March 20, 2009

Value Life

Mark 3:1-5
He (Jesus) entered again into a synagogue; and a man was there whose hand was withered. They were watching Him to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath, so that they might accuse Him. He said to the man with the withered hand, "Get up and come forward!" And He said to them, "Is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to kill?" But they kept silent. After looking around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, He said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored.

Seems like such an easy question: Do you save a life or do you kill? My kids in Sunday school would have been jumping to be chosen to answer a question put that simply. Save or kill?

I read this and think "Come on, guys. You sure are hung up on your laws." But what about me?

Are there times that I hold to my so-called principles or traditions at the expense of saving life? Do I miss opportunities to see someone healed because I don't think it should be done in this way or at this time or at this location?

Value life

I need to look for every opportunity to value life over some rule or guideline. I must seek life with reckless abandon, so that I and those I come across can have life to the full.

No comments: