Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Preparation

My mother-in-law sent me an excerpt from the bible study she is doing. She said she thought of me and the place where I am with life changes right now. In the lesson Beth Moore talks about being at the edge of the place for which God had been preparing you. Beth asks: Are you scared now that you see the time of preparation coming to fulfillment? Are you still willing to move forward and take the land? She says that Joshua and Caleb were probably scared, too, but they trusted God was bigger than the giants (Numbers 13). "How God must grieve over two common approaches to His unfolding plan: those who want position without preparation and those who refuse to leave the comforts of preparation to take the position." (Beth Moore)

I get it. And I agree that we must see God as bigger than the giants and be willing to accept what He has, whether that's preparation or taking the land. So where do I see myself? Honestly I don't know anymore. Josh and I made it through these past 3 years of grad school by reminding ourselves that this was a time of preparation. We started grad school after spending a semester in Guatemala - Josh getting to use his architecture and me getting to love and enjoy an orphanage of girls. In a lot of ways we didn't want to be back in the States going to school and hearing about how much money we would be making once we got our degrees. We wanted to be back overseas somewhere. But we trucked on remembering "preparation!"

We still have more preparation. And that's hard. Maybe this move will just be a time of more preparation. Maybe we are standing on the edge of what God has been preparing us for. I don't know. We trust God and trust His plans. I just don't do well with waiting. Funny that waiting and trusting are often translated interchangeably in the Bible.

Maybe it's a little bit of both - preparation and fulfillment. And I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly trust in Jesus' name
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand.


No comments: