Friday, November 07, 2008

Holy Moments

Our church is studying Colossians in our small groups. We have discussion books that the small groups go through each week. While studying Colossians 1, we were discussing everything being made by Christ and for Christ (1:16). One of the questions was "How would you live each day if you really saw everything as being for Christ?"

I realized that I would see more things as sacred. Often the daily tasks, the errands, the to-do lists become mundane and seem to interfere with "ministry." But if I really think about everything in my life being for Jesus, then even the mundane becomes a holy moment.

This, of course, is easier to see when I'm serving in something that feels more like ministry. Washing dishes almost everyday for our team in Egypt can much more easily be seen as sacred than washing dishes in my house. As though serving a team of men and women and God is more valuable than serving just God and my husband in the role He has placed me in. I'd blame it on the idea that my spiritual gift is not service, except I know better than to try that kind of excuse.

Caedmon's Call (one of my favorite bands) has a song that captures this. She sings about the role of a mother at home with her kids, trying to find time to get to the to-do list. And she wonders "Could it be that everything is sacred and all this time everything I've dreamed has been right before my eyes?"

Brother Lawrence, who wrote amazingly challenging letters that were made into the book The Practice of the Presence of God, said he saw no difference between his time of dedicated prayer and his time washing dishes in the kitchen because he felt God's presence in each. I don't have the book in front of me, but I think he even said something about having to refrain from shouting out loud because he felt God so strongly.

I had a friend who once said that each moment is a holy moment because all we have is that moment.

Enjoy each moment today.
"For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him." Col. 1:16

No comments: