Thursday, May 10, 2007

More thoughts on James

James 1:25
But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.

This verse says to me that living the Christian life is not about memorizing a set of rules, but about looking up on the truth of God until it is seared on your heart and in your mind and you can't forget it. It's about knowing the truth so that when you are faced with decisions to make and difficult situations, you can respond in the way that is pleasing to God.

James explains that what we do will show if we have been look intently at the perfect law. Our behavior will show if we are effectual doers or forgetful hearers. And the one who walks in the law of liberty will be blessed in what he does.

What do my actions say about me today? Do I remember, as I go about each day, the things that I have read in God's word?


No comments: